Archive for April 28th, 2011
check out Dan Chabanov in The Sartorialist ! Is that a Freight Backpack I see??? He’s a badass messenger in NYC and just won the Red Hook Crit two years in a row. Congrats Dan C!!
We all know that our economy depends heavily on the “tourist trade” and a recently published survey by the San Francisco Travel Association reports some positive data collected over the course of 2010 which I share with you.
- 15.92 million people visited the City (up 3.1% from the prior year).
- that’s an average of 126,931 tourists each day and with a population of just over 800,000 that means on an average day 14% of the people walking around are tourists
- 75% of those surveyed advised they were here for “leisure” purposes and 7.1% for “conventions”
- 70.2% were of domestic origin. Top overseas “feeder markets” were Canada (11.9%); UK (11.6%); Australia (8.0%) and Germany (7.0%)
- over half the visitors are under 45 years old (average age 41.4 years) and are affluent with an annual HH income of ,591.
- more than 50% stayed four nights or more and the average stay is 4.5 nights
And as for the economic impact:
- Tourists spent .34 billion (up 6.2% from the prior year)
- generating 5 million in City taxes (up 4%)
- 67,122 jobs were supported by tourism (about 13% of the total daytime workforce)
- hotel guests spend an average of 0 per person per day
And what do they like about San Francisco? Of course it’s the “ambiance/atmosphere” (18.6%); “scenic beauty” (18.3%); “arts/culture” (12%); and “cuisine” (11.9%)
And what don’t they like about San Francisco? By far “homelessness and panhandling” (25.4%) was the number one response followed by “cold and windy weather” (10.1%).
But despite those negatives, thankfully 98.3% say they would return so…
For the first time ever, Broadway’s current Tony Award® winning best musical comes to you as a spectacular big screen event!
- Email: buzzboSF@gmail.com
- Subject: MEMPHIS buzzboSF
- Tell us: Why is MEMPHIS your favorite musical?